Monday, July 05, 2021

A Summer Weight Suit

  To Celebrate Summer, 1825-40 Style!

Happy July! I hope all of my US readers had a happy & safe holiday this past weekend. I am now home from a up to see my parents in Washington. It has been over 2 years since I had seen them due to blasted covid! It was HOT.  Pip cooked an egg on the sidewalk on a 105+ degree day...and yes, I have the video to prove, it really does work!  I had planned to put up this year's ornament kit for sale when I got back home, but as usual, I am a little behind. I took work with me on my trip, but just couldn't wrap my brain around it so here I am, behind as always. Hopefully, I'll get it done and up later this week! 

In the meantime, I wanted to share a peek at this stunning little buys suit. I have a wide date on it from 1825-40 as it is so hard to date more everyday wear for boys that dont have fashionable cuts to help date them. The high armscyes, curved back seam, turnback pointed cuffs and faux waistcoat can all be found in garments in that time period window. Straps on petticoats and trousers were very common in 1820-30 periods, and some even crept their way into the 1840s. 

One thing that I love about this particular suit is its condition. It was not worn once on some special occasion and put away. It was a daily use garment and it shows magnificently by the wear and repairs. The above view of the trousers is the backside of them. Note the coarse printed insertions center back...this is not an alteration. The waistband, this back section that would never be seen when worn with the jacket, and the lining of the jacket is all original construction. The plaid fabric has been pieced together from several tiny pieces~ most likey leftover scraps from Mom or Dad's clothing. The trousers are open from the crotch to the waistband in the back, as shown. The cut of the seat is full to allow ample room for the bum when sitting.


Here is a closer view of the piecing in the back. No evidence of back closure, these would have been pinned closed. 


The linen straps have been lengthened. In the above photo at about the 3:15 pm position, you can see the seam of their original length.


The fabric is a summer weight, very light and thin. There are several worn holes to both the front and back of the trousers. Some are mended, some not. 


I love the woven design of the fabric...a woven plaid not printed, but with random streaks of blue that breaks up the pattern and makes it look very organic. 


The tunic or jacket is wonderful. The body and arms are fully lined. No lining to the skirting. Lovely little turn-down collar. Piped seams. All original buttons have been removed. Construction includes an inner faux waistcoat~ meaning that the front closure is basically a double flap so that it looks like the little guy is wearing a matching inner waistcoat. The outer flaps fold back to form a fashionable lapel.


Remenants of original buttons remain on the lining.


The back view~ from shoulder to trouser hem this set is a mere 28" measure. Cute!


Worn in the usual places, bum, knees, elbows....  

Here is a tip when trying to decypher original garments and wear, from 'fakes' (garments made to deceive)...

Elbow wear is nearly never at the actual 'elbow' but below it. When wearing a long sleeve jacket we tend to jet the arms out forward before we bend them, say to rest the elbows on a table. This, along with bending of the arm, hikes the sleeve up the arm...wearing the fabric in an area down closer to the wrist. 




2 comments:

Pattie davidson said...

Thanks for sharing this with us it is amazing to me how children were dressed.

Patricia Stuart said...

Terrific two pice set!