Saturday, March 09, 2019

Back Home from Williamsburg

Some Special Memories to Share~
  I am still trying to catch up from a fantabulous time teaching at Colonial Williamsburg.  The weather was beautiful as always~ so much warmer than here in Colorado. My most favorite thing about Colonial Williamsburg, are all the different Trades that are represented....and being able to observe the highly skilled tradespeople doing what they love to do. I could just stand and watch them all day if I had the time. Just look at the above quaint little building~ it's nestled in behind the Blacksmith. The Tinsmith Shop is an 'amazing' little place. There is so much crammed into this little building~
  It was closed the days I was at Williamsburg last year~ so I was super excited to find it open...one can hear the little hammerings from across the yard.  One of the great things about the Tradespeople in Williamsburg, is their enthusiasm for what they do, and their willingness to share all they know to someone who is interested. I emphasize the willingness to share, because so many places one can find folks who demonstrate, but that is as far as it goes. A person can really learn alot from a trip thru Colonial Williamsburg.
  I fell in love with the coffeepot she is making here above~ soooo fascinating to watch, really really. It is a common saying in the 18th c, 'Men and women work and make with their hands....Ladies & Gentlemen are thinkers' .... I think definitely I would have been a woman, and not a Ladye.

  Another really unique and wonderful aspect of CW, is that one can purchase the items made in the Historic Trade Shops at the Prentis Store.  I brought home two very special things, the first was a scribe made at the Blacksmith that I will use out in the woodshop, and the other fantabulous treasure is a green enameled Tinderbox made at the Tinsmith

  Underneath the candle holder on the lid,  is a little compartment with a forged steel striker and 2 pieces of flint....which provide  the sparks to start a fire. This little tray can be lifted out....

  and underneath of it, a charcloth and tinder is held~ all the tools one needs to start a fire right here in this perfectly made tin tinderbox! I love it

  I was also lucky to catch a dying session at the Weaver's on one of my lunch hours~ there is something so relaxing and comforting about watching the wool change colors~ its magical
 And a LOT of hard work dying wool. Cochineal and Indigo were in the dye pots today, along with some other 18thc period correct dyestuffs~ I think there was some Brazilwood and maybe some Annatto seeds. The colors that can be had are really beautiful, and brighter than one would think
  All of these colors were dyed with natural dyes there at the Weavers. I am pretty sure "Organic Fiber Dyeing, The Colonial Williamsburg Method" is still available on their website, or Amazon~ its got great recipes in it that I am planning on trying on some silk here pretty soon.

And my most precious treasures....these little skeins of  wool that were dyed at the Weaver's~ arent they just beautiful? They have been made, sheep to what you see here, at Colonial Williamsburg from Leicester Longwool sheep's wool~ sheared, spun and then dyed. The yellow I believe was dyed with Fustic, the orangy one with Madder root. The purple and pinks, Brazilwood and Cochineal, the browns are Walnut, the 2 brighter blues are Indigo, and the duller two to the left are a combination of Walnut and Indigo....how do I know for sure??? Because they are nice enough to write it on the little labels for me. I think something special is in order for these....I am trying to decide between a pinball....or a dollys pocket....or maybe a bedrug for Princess Holley's bed....

1 comment:

Barbara Brown said...

Ohhhhhh! I can't wait to get down there and see you and hear all about your trip and see these things up close and personal! I want to feel those skeins of wool and try the recipes on some cotton or silk, too!! Might be a little different than dying wool......wool needs a mordant to set the color, but we should be able to figure it out! :-).
Love you, Mom