Monday, March 18, 2019

Casket Progress

 Once Upon a Time.....on a Casket Far Far Away......
 Made a little progress on my casket this past week....a few min here and there can really add up. Played around with different bead colors and patterns on the walls....got all my little roof shingles made and attached.
 I have had several folks ask about how I made the turrets so will share that here, because I have seen on a number of caskets, different parts of feathers used & stitched over for various effects.  Oh I could have just padded up the turrets with felt, but I wanted to use one of my favorite turkey's feathers, to make him a forever part of my casket
The veins are stripped from the center quill, and then it is cut to shape with a razor. I chose a spot on the quill that was the right size diameter, and curve, for my turrets

 A section of quill was cut out, and because I need two matching size, I then cut this in half lengthwise.  Large game birds' quills are nice and thick, and would have been readily available to a 17th c stitcher.
 It kind of looks like a fingernail here...

But it makes a pretty good fit, as you can see.

 Before twilling I drilled it with 3 holes for attaching it to the castle with.


The tower windows are metal beads that I cut open and flattened into the right shape and stitched on, so still beads. It could be better, but I am happy enough with it to get to move on to the next elements....next weekend...I can't wait!

1 comment:

Barbara Brown said...

Mr. Giving is still "giving". :-). Be glad he isn't still giving you what he gave me......a bloody peck on my ankle! Lol. Did you get your e-mail from me? I'm waiting for "table inches". Love you, Mom