Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Inspiration, c1820...........
Everyone who knows me, knows I love boxes! To me, the wrap is nearly as important as what is inside~ I seal my Queen Anne boxes with original, antique seals from my collection here at the museum. They are some of my favorite little items that were, in their own time, indispensables. With no sticky on an envelope, a person would have a variety of these wonderful little gems on their writing desk, to seal their correspondence with...some have secret meanings, some have family crests....all meant to be very personal between the barer and recipient.
Above is one of my Antiqued fabric boxes in one of my favorite shades of blue, sealed with 'the all seeing eye'.........it is one of 8 precious images on a multi seal that I just added to the collection last month. There are 6 removable seals round the outer wheel, and two on each end, hand carved in blue agate.............so pretty!
This seal dates c1820. There are flowers, heartes, a little 'forget me knot' quotation, birds, the eye....even a train! (invented in 1781 if you were wondering)...but my FAVORITE.....
Is the Rooster. "While I Live, I Crow" it says, which is definitely a goode motto for me!


5 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

Rachael I love your boxes !! The are a treasure without a dolly..
and WHERE do you find such wonderful lil bits of olde? The wax seal is marvy! & it's BIRDS!!
Deena

Hallowed Hill Primitives said...

Rachael, your boxes are beautiful and so are your babies.........

Barb

Lana Manis said...

Love the "olde" boxes Rachael.
Hmmm, I've never been the recipient of a wax sealed letter ~ hint, hint! LOL!

Lana

Suzanne said...

Love that seal Rachael! What a nice touch when you send out one of your beautiful creations!

Chickadee Primitives said...

You are such an interesting, sweet gal, Rachael!!! xo

Annie