Saturday, October 02, 2021

Finer Finishing Tips #4

What's Happening with that Dome Top Casket??

When I open a box my mind is filled with visions of what could be. To me, an empty box is like a huge playground, and I get to decide what rides I want in it! 

Do you have a special something...or somethings that need a place to live? By place of course I mean, a box! The something could be a bottle of perfume..but it doesn't have to be. Your something could be a piece of jewelry, it could be a rock, a special pair of scissors...some antique needlework tools...

When you are blessed with an empty box in front of you, just sit and have a cup of tea with it...ponder all the things it could be. Let it speak to you. If it tells you it wants to hold that special something you have, well then, you can make a dedicated special space just for it!

I am not good at keeping secrets for very long, so by now a lot of you know that this casket is a showcase for my beloved 17th c Gummed Silk technique I have been working on.  I thought that I had linked in my last post to the beautiful Gummed Silk Casket at the Dallas Museum of Art, but I didn't! So sorry! Click on the photo below to go check it out, it really is amazing. Flat photographs just do not do the silk justice. As one moves around it, the light catches the fibers differently and the whole just takes on a glow like no other.


You can check out my latest tips for making partitions in your 'box' below~


Happy Stitching!


No comments: