Monday, September 08, 2008

2+2 is 4.......

4 & 4 are 8...........

8 & 8 are 16.........six~teen and six~teen are thirty~two.........I have been humming this olde song all morning, as today, my little babes ventured back to school. Tressa is in 7th grade, her first year of Junior high school, Josh in 3rd, Emma in 2nd....and its SO nice that they all go to the same school. Of coarse Pip had to get dressed up too....and REALLY made herself at home in Emma's class. Everyone kept asking if she was in 'puppyland' this year, and I kept bleeting out NO! NO! She just turned 3 years olde yesterday~ at our school they can start when they are 4....but shes staying home with Mommy until she is at least 5........why~ who else would help me gather all the eggs?? I can't imagine sending such a wee one to school.

The above Daguerreotype is one of my favorites~ gathering an entire class for a photo was a monumental feat in the late 1840's....but all together on one picture, you can see such a diverse selection of both boys & girls wear~ I encourage you to click on the picture so you can get a better look at what each is wearing! Most all of the girls are wearing aprons or pinafores to keep their dresses clean...some of the boys wear tunics, while others jackets, and the most valuable reference, to me~ note the pantaloons~ how they differ in length from the generic ankle length most scholars view as the 'norm' for this era. Wonderful!

3 comments:

jane augenstein said...

I love your dolls, so beautiful!
I have something on my blog for you.

Christine LeFever said...

That is one marvelous daguerreotype! And I agree on the wee ones; keep them home to gather eggs and to be with their Mama if possible. Some are ready and raring to go earlier than others. You know her best and have made such a sound decision.

Christine ~ Zwee!!!!!!!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

What an amazing image!