Sunday, January 08, 2017

Flat Top Casket progress

How Goeth the Busy Snail......
 Its going to be a good year tater...thats what I keep telling myself~ and I think it will be! I have been working on my new 2017 Lt Ed Ornament....going AWESOME..... I have decided to start selling threads this year (more on that later)...and have also decided to take some of my own advise...which is to make time for me this year. I have  a slew of orders I am working on, slate frames, mirror cases, dolls and a couple of new projects.... was right in the 'groove' of things, when Mother Nature decided to whip me upside the head with 14" of snow....her way of telling me to stop the 'D Train' and get off for a while...because I do all of my woodworking outside~ so when weather is bad, I cant work! Last year things really took off for me, and while I feel each and ever order is a blessing,  I dont know if my family shares same views. As a buyer, I dont like waiting for an order~ so as a seller, I dont like to make people wait~ and with my workload, folks are already having to wait....not long, but still! I work all day, each and every day~ 7 days a week~ I take my work on 'vacations'.. I cant sleep some nights so get up and work at 2-3 am....I stay up after everyone goes to bed and work....I fit family things in between, but this year, I am making a rule. Sunday is my day. I'm going to try very hard this year to keep it that way!  I'm not complaining at all, I guess I'm just saying out loud, that I am going to try and manage my time better this year...if that is possible!  
  It's been a while since I have had time to work on my flat top....I think October last year was the last I worked on it~ and its been really calling to me of late~ if I was to say what one thing could recharge my battery....working on my stitching would  be that. It's been so long I cant even remember if I ever shared how my friezes are coming on....this is the back frieze ~ all finished! There are snails on every frieze, and every panel of my casket~ I love snails! Maybe I was a snail in another life....

 Little birdie fellow is in the center of the back frieze with a little worm in his mouth. The front and back friezes are completely finished... only the two sides were left~ so just four more snails to do....

 Just...I say that with a smile because these little buggers are way more difficult for me than they look...matter of fact, they are down right challenging for me to wrap my brain around. Aside from trying to get the spiral lay of the beads to conform to my vision....  I wanted to use different colors for each frieze's snail shells....but beads are mischievous....dare I say sly, sneaky things....they look one color in the pot, but on a thing they can change in an instant land look totally hideous!  Snail on the right came out wonderful~ those two on that side frieze zoomed forth from my fingers like lightning....but the snails on the left~ they gave me grey hair and then some.  El YUCKO!!!!  Two weeks, however many hours it took me to work them both in those hideous colors.....every time I looked at them I cringed....just hideous! Even more, the thought of unpicking everything without ruining the background satin was very intimidating.....but one night, I just couldn't stand it any longer and spent 5 hours...yes, thats right~ 5 hours to unpick the blasted beasts!!

They wanted to be same color as the snails in the other side's frieze...but no I said...we cant have four snails the same color. So I madly searched thru my beads picking and choosing new colors....would string up a few together and nope...not those...those look ok, but they wont fit with the rest of what I have planned on the panels...I really like these two colors....but beads are too big.....what to do...what to do?
Then. 
It snowed.
Snowed some more....
Snowed and was cold enough my body would not let myself go outside to work....
I found myself standing at my counter with nothing between me and this panel....and there were the beads from the other snail shells...right there...
just sitting there.....
And a half morning after, the sun is out, and low and behold, I have a completed snail shell, and I like it!
Yep...It's gonna be a good year tater!

3 comments:

Barbara Brown said...

I LOVE your snails!! And you! LY, Mom

D1-D2 said...

They all look amazing :o

Unknown said...

Okay...so I KNOW that beauty is in the eye of the beholder-blah blah blah...but this beholder can't quite figure out what is so yucky about the snail you don't like. In fact, I can't figure out which one you even meant! But I also know that when an artist is dissatisfied with a point of order, nothing will do but to fix it. I also know just how hard it is to back up, pick out and re do. So congratulation and I'm glad for you that you're back on the snail track and making progress once again. And that bird with worm? OMG - it's just too much cuteness for words - You do know that this casket is going to be placed beside the Kinnison Angel Basket in the future museum display...I mean, do you really get just how awesome your work is? I simply feel honored getting to watch it being a borned! Thank you for sharing your process and progress!
As for the snow? LOL...this is the Universe's way of MAKING you slow down and snail along...also, taking that one day a week just for yourself is the healthiest decision you'll ever make. DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE to steal it away from you...barring a life threatening event - make it a sacred personal time; it's a gift to your Self! Guard it jealously - consider it a relationship with a loved one - YOU!!