Thursday, June 14, 2007

Red.....it really is a 'Goode Thing'..................



Here are some of my favorite shoes~ all in red. During the 16th, 17th & 18th centuries, red was considered the color of Nobility~ to have shoes of chrimson red, meant you were the who's who of society....very wealthy, and very fashionable. The fawn color side lacing shoes in the very back, c1854, are adult size, to give refrence to how small some of these are~ all worn by children, NO DOLLS. The red pair directly in front of them, second from the BACK, is c1830, of wool with patent leather heel & toe foxings.



Above a pair of teeniest teeny red morocco leather shoes, latchet tie, with covered heel in contrasting leather. Worn my a young girl in 1740, age 2. The tiny hand stitching on these is a marvel to behold in person.


This pair of shoes is dated 1780, with a bit more detailed family provenance than the first pair~ and fit directly in the wooden pattens below. The pointed toe is a direct reflection of the bigger pair Mamma would have worn..........


This ia a pair of wooden "Pattens". These are hand carved wood above a raised wrought iron oval ring~ one would put these on by fastening the leather strap up over the shoe, to go out in the mud or rain~ like an early overshoe. It is hard enough trying to teach a toddler to walk, let alone balance on these things~ but yes, they were actually worn. I have seen the bottom iron in different fashionable shapes....squares, circles, hearts~ most endearing.

4 comments:

woolfriend said...

Dear Rachael,
I love your historical museum items - so fascinating! I also love your dolls, really wonderful! You are truly an artist! Where in southern Colorado are you located if by chance I get to your area. I also live in southern Colorado. thanks
kristiem@amigo.net

Sylvia Anderson said...

Rachael~ I love these wonderful old shoes!!! Thank you so much for sharing them with us! So very interesting....esp. the last photo of the "pattens"....I'd never seen of heard of them before.

SweetAnnee said...

Oh I can't STAND it
I love baby shoes & YOU have
some aweomse ones!!
I want
smiles, Deena

Hallowed Hill Primitives said...

Love the shoes Rachael, show me more. I think I would like to come visit you to see all your treasures and wonderful dolls.

Barb