Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Wanted.... a HOME to call my own!


Anyone who knows me, knows that I specialize in early American children's basket purses. I love them. I have studied them for years, and am always on the hunt for wonderful new pieces. Well....its really nice to go hunting and come home victorious! I thought Id share my latest triumphant find....first, was this little cdv of a girl holding one. But not just any purse...hers has a HOUSE painted on it! By her bonnet, and this being a cdv, she most likely stood for her photograph around 1865-7ish. Its not hard to see why her Mama couldn't tell those big blue eyes 'No', when asked if she could have a pretty painted basket purse! Of all my years of scouring and searching, I have never seen another with a house! Christmas has indeed come early.....so I thought.



Not a week after acquiring that image, I was offered this little basket purse~ I couldn't believe it! One in the flesh, with a house. There are no words for my excitement! Sophie is so kind to hold it up for you to see~ it is painted both front and back with a pastoral scene including a white house with red roof & black windows, large green tree to its right, and all is set nicely into a tri color green landscape. The hinged lid is painted in blue dots. You can sort of see the other basket Sophie is holding, about 3x bigger. This one is meant for a smaller child, like the age in the cdv above. This basket is not exactly the same as in the picture above. Look closely and it has a band of openwork above the house, this one is solid....but, the house painted is nearly identical. I have examined the cdv thru my loupe, and the house has the exact number and placement of the windows, same colors and shape, the only difference is this one has a tree. The painter is most definitely the same, adding fuel for my argument that these purses were made, painted and sold commercially.

6 comments:

Christine LeFever said...

Your collection of little basket purses is amazing, Rachael. This one is so adorable with the house and of course the fact that you received the photo of an early one also rare and with a house on it prior to procuring this one is evidence indeed of the way the mind works in the law of attraction. You attract goodness at every turn, Girl!

XO,

Christine ~ Zwee!!!!!

Sandra Evertson said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever seen!
Seasons Greetings and Holiday Cheer to you!
Sandra Evertson

Atticbabys said...

Aw Rachael I'm so excited for you!!!
What a wonderful find indeed, and you are just the perfect person to own it! It was meant to be!
Hugs,
Nan

Carole said...

Rachael, how wonderful. First you found the picture, then the purse came to you! Yes, I totally agree with Christine, the law of attraction works! Believe me I know. You had the vibes going, and it found it's way to you. Fabulous! I am thrilled for you.
Carole

......Thimblefolk.......Barb McNamara said...

Rachael, that is so precious and perfect....thankyou for sharing. I would love to see all of your collection sometime.

xxoxo
Barb

Suzanne said...

That's wonderful Rachael! Two for two! :)