Monday, September 18, 2017

London, Day 3

V&A Clothworkers' Center at Blythe House 

   Day three in London started off with an early tube ride to Barron's Court Station and a short stroll to the new Clothworkers Center located at Blythe House for an appointment to study several pieces of 17th c embroidery up close. 

   The new facility is large and spacious, and has been thoroughly modernized for the safest textile storage available.  

 The V&A and Alexandra really went above and beyond to make our time here super fantabulous.... Just look at the study tables...I wish I had just one this big for my collection.

By the time we finished at the Clothworker's facility, it was time for lunch. A quick tube ride back to Knightsbridge, and we were off to the Victoria & Albert Museum

 A quick, but really good, lunch was had at one of the cafes...don't ask me which one~ well..it was the one right next to the courtyard~

 It was a beautiful day and there were many enjoying the reflecting pool

 After lunch we headed up to the second floor to see the 17th c embroidery and beadwork on display. One thing I was really excited about seeing was a swaddling band, but alas, the near non existent illumination that was present in most of the display cases for the textiles, was not working in that case~so it was literally a black hole.... which was my only complaint about my entire trip I think. It is in these instances that I very much appreciate them making their collections available online(but still not the same as seeing in person).  Above is a knit tunic that I very much want to make for my Pandora doll, Wood....when ever I get the time. I was going to dress her 18th c, because she was made c1720-40...., but I think 17th c would be much more fun to dress her in.

 Of coarse we had to visit Martha Edlin's casket and padded mirror case. 

  Lord & Ladye Clapham were there as well~ if you go to make a visit of your own, don't  miss their extra clothes and accessories in the pullout drawers underneath the display!

  After my camera and mind were both spent, it was just a quick two block walk back to the house to rest. Back past the Baklava man with the never ending tray of free samples....a left turn at Bonham's auction house

 And we were home~ thats my window all the way at the top in the middle there

 And what did I bring home for today? A kilo of baklava of coarse....didn't last very long, next time I think I may need 2 kilo to bring home...and one for eating there.....

No comments: