Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Winning the lottery!!


No~ I don't gamble...but if I did, I should think that the way I felt when I found this little c1855 Ambrotype would be exactly how one would feel winning a million dollars in the lottery! I have collected and studied children's basket purses for years and years. I have over 100 examples of them here in the museum~ a good variety of different shapes, paint patterns & sizes. I am never so bold as to say I know everything about them....but I will say I probably know more than most.....and can absolutely prove that they are NOT! Chinese export baskets, but American American American! Certain shapes are more rare than others, some I have examples of in daguerreotype images that I don't have a physical specimen of....yet! I have seen boat shaped footed baskets with little tassels...I'd love to find one of those! Anyway, I'm rambling~ I was T*H*R*I*L*L*E*D* to death when I found this ambro, as it is a new shape I had not yet seen, and painted! Fragile as they are, quite a few have survived and can still be 'hunted' successfully. ( by the way, I am always interested in buying, if anyone should run across one I do also pay a finders fee...) Another reason of my liking this image so very much is her dress.....just look at that precious roller print! Most definitely printed on a lightweight challis. I adore early printed textiles....I start to humm the song from 'The Sound of music' when I think of them......'These are a few of my favorite things.....Printing on kerchiefs, and light printed aprons.....soft woolen dresses hand printed with flowers.....' you get the idea! I have some pictures of my favorites I will share with you, just as soon as Blogger will let me put them on!

6 comments:

Christine LeFever said...

Fabulous!

Christine

Suzanne said...

Oh, she is adorable!

fiddlestixstudios said...

How precious,Rachael!I wonder if she has a little dollie tucked inside of her wonderful basket purse?I enjoy your blog so much-thank you for sharing such interesting pieces of history with us!

Barbara said...

How sweet! I don't remember seeing this one! Personally...I like her hat! It reminds me of one I used to wear when I was little and Roy Rogers was waiting to marry me! Mine had little "jingle balls" all around the edge!
LY, Mom

Lana Manis said...

How adorable Rachael! And how lucky you were to find that! I owe you an email.... I'll try this weekend, promise!

Lone Pierette said...

Rachael - that is sooo adorable !
hugs Lone